As we get closer to the Holiday many of us are thinking about food and planning menus. I had to share this personal favorite from my recipe box. These scalloped potatoes kick up the drool factor with lots of Gruyere and Parmesan cheese paired with just enough bacon to make them feel 'down home'.
Preheat your oven to 350°.
You'll want to thoroughly wash your red potatoes. Cut them into thin slices and place to the side.
In a small saucepan combine the milk, cream, garlic, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium heat stirring frequently. When the cream mix starts to bubble remove it from the heat and set to the side. Allow to sit for 10 minutes. These 10 minutes are a great time to shred your Gruyere and Parmesan cheese.
If you're lucky.... Like me....you'll have a handsome fella like Eli helping you in the kitchen. He's really just patiently waiting for food bits to fall from the heavens and making it really difficult to navigate around the kitchen, but with a face like that he's welcome to hang around.
Take 1/2 of your potato slices and arrange them evenly in the bottom of an 8" x 8" glass baking dish. Use 1/2 of your cream mixture to cover the slices. Take 1/2 of your cheese and bacon and evenly spread it over the potatoes and cream. Repeat this with the remaining potatoes, cream, cheese and bacon. Place in the oven and cook for 60-70 minutes or until golden brown on top. * If you like your potatoes extra cheesy add a little more to the middle and top layer.
Oooooh....That's The Good Stuff!!
Allow to cool on a trivet for a few minutes and then serve.
Gruyere & Bacon Scalloped Potatoes
3 Slices Cooked Bacon
2 lbs Red Potatoes
1 Clove of Garlic
1 cup Gruyere Cheese (Shredded)
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese (Shredded)
1 cup Whipping Cream
1/3 cup Milk
1/2 tsp Salt
1/5 tsp Black Pepper
*Note - If you would like to make this recipe without the bacon be sure to increase the salt to 1 tsp.
Preheat oven to 350°
- Cook bacon in a pan over medium heat, turning several times, until fully cooked. Set aside on a plate and paper towel to drain.
- Thinly slice red potatoes and set aside. Shred your cheeses and set aside until later.
- Combine milk, cream, garlic, salt and pepper in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir frequently until it start to bubble around the sides. Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Arrange 1/2 of your potato slices evenly in the bottom of a 8"x 8" glass baking dish. Pour 1/2 of the cream mixture over the potato slices. Evenly top with 1/2 of the cheese and bacon. Repeat this with the remaining potato slices, cream, cheese and bacon.
- Place in the oven and cook for 60 to 70 minutes or until golden brown.